Found in the Wall!

Found in the Wall! - welcome to the blog Minimalist Home Design, on this occasion we will discuss the information titled Found in the Wall! as you are looking for, we have collect a lot of data to make this article so that you are satisfied with the information we convey, well please continue reading:

This is about : Found in the Wall!
And this article : Found in the Wall!

You can also see our article on:


Found in the Wall!

One of the cool things about living in an old house is the constant possibility that you might find something left behind—intentionally or not—by a previous occupant. Open up a wall and you might see century-old bank bonds or a pile of cash or gold bricks or a diamond ring or…ya know. We’ve seen the news stories. Some asshole goes a-renovatin’ and finds some shit worth more than the house itself.
Well, I’ve done a fair amount of renovating, and my house is a hidden-treasure-failure. I found a couple of plastic combs behind the wall in the downstairs bathroom. A matchbook in the attic. A business card for a hat shop in the entryway ceiling. Several mummified mice. Until recently, I think probably the coolest thing I found was half of a shutter hinge below the solarium. BFD.
bayinside
You know how on the first floor of my house, there’s this amazing panel detail below all of the windows? The incredible moldings were one of the big reasons I fell so in love with my house. So beautiful! It makes me feel bad about putting furniture and stuff in any of my rooms because I always feel like nothing I own is prettier than the house itself and therefore I should just leave it empty.

panelbackside
One of the cool things about taking so much of the house apart and putting it back together again—which is really what the exterior restoration requires—is getting to see what’s behind my walls without tearing out the plaster and moldings on the interior. This is the backside of one of those below-the-window-panels, which I spent a while staring at and trying to figure out how to reconstruct for the new dining room window. This picture doesn’t really show much, but the craftsmanship here! The whole thing is mortise-and-tenon’d together at the corners and there are flathead screws holding things together from the inside and…I don’t know, it’s all very cool to me. In an age when strips of MDF held onto drywall with liquid nails qualifies as board-and-batten walls, I always like seeing this kind of thing.
SO ANYWAY, I was staring at this and looked down, and right there, tucked between the stud and the backside of the panel was a little piece of paper! It’s somewhere between the size of a business card and a postcard, beautifully preserved, and sitting right there waiting to be discovered!
hanoverfront
How cool! Here’s the front of the card. Look at that building! I actually first assumed that this building stood in Kingston (we also have a Broadway and Cedar Street, and they intersect at a corner!) and immediately got sad about all the incredible buildings lost to urban renewal efforts and whatnot, but a quick google searched turned up that this was actually the Equitable Life Assurance Building in Manhattan, which I guess stood at a record-breaking height when it was finished in 1870 and was the first office building to feature passenger elevators. Like many other “fireproof” buildings built in lower Manhattan around that time, turns it out was not that fireproof and burned down in 1912. Look at that!
hanoverback
And on the back my eyes immediately settled on the text at the bottom, because that’s the name of the original owner of my house!* I knew from census records and stuff that he was an insurance salesman (among other things—it sounds like he was a real man-about-town and total badass), but there’s something kind of different about holding his 150 year old business card (is that what we call this?) in my hand. So fun. In case you’re curious, that $726,399.94 in 1870 translates to about $12,700,000 in 2016.
*this could be false. Almost every person who knows a lot about old houses tells me the construction of the original section at least of my house appears to be more circa 1830s, and looks like it got a couple of additions and maybe a big aesthetic overhaul in the 1860s or so. The 1905 obituary of the owner whose name appears on this card notes that he built the house “forty years ago,” which brings us to 1865, but maybe “built” refers more to a major renovation? It is, after all, an obituary in the local paper, not a real estate record. I need a time machine or somebody who’s really good at research.
SO THAT HAPPENED AND IT WAS EXCITING FOR ME BECAUSE THAT IS THE KIND OF THING I LIKE. NOW HERE IS ANOTHER THING I LIKE.
baywindowframed
Remember this view? It’s the new window installed on the missing third side of the bay window on the first floor. Great, cool.
windowframe
Remember this view? It’s the opposite end of the solarium, where under some wood paneling was clear evidence of another window down at this end. The sashes are long gone and the jamb is pretty hacked up, but it’s definitely a window jamb.
When I found that hidden window, I measured it…and it seemed like just the size of the one that would have been on the third side of the bay window, where I’ve now put a window back. Which lead me to wonder…was this window moved here from the bay window when the solarium was built? I think it’s totally possible. Why throw out a perfectly good window when you’re adding more windows? Huh.
backsideofpaneleddetail
Fast-forward to solarium demo of a few weeks ago, and after removing all the brick and mortar nogging…look there, below the window jamb! Doesn’t that kind of look like the backside of the panel detail I was talking about earlier? That’s neither siding nor sheathing, so I got all excited.
demo7
Because don’t forget, the bay window has that detail on the inside and the outside.
clapboardcoveredwindow
It didn’t take me long to head to the exterior and rip off the vinyl on this wall. I was expecting to see a big sheet of plywood where the window used to be, but I actually found…wood clapboard? Huh! I guess this window was removed longer ago than I thought.
Said it before and I’ll say it forever…check that mold out. THAT IS WHAT IS UNDER VINYL SIDING. Moisture and rot and yuck yuck yuck that is terrible for your house. Luckily the clapboard actually wasn’t rotted here, but I’m sure in a few years or so you’d start to see that. Which of course can then affect sheathing, and framing, and the backside of your walls, and vinyl siding ought to be illegal.
paneldetailcovered
Anyway. Then I took the clapboard off board-by-board, like I do, and that’s when I found the plywood. OK. Starting to make some sense.
paneldetailexposed
AND THEN UNDER THE PLYWOOD LOOK LOOK LOOK! That right there is the same panel detail found on the other two sides of the bay window that I’m restoring, in really pretty great condition from being covered up all these years. SO EXCITING. Hopefully I can just move the entire thing back to its rightful position under that new window, and that will be one big step closer to making that once-beautiful bay window whole again. That thing is trimmed out with a lot of fancy moldings, some of which will probably still need to be replicated, but having this one thing taken care of by the house is just so cool, at least to me. I love those super rare times when things might actually be easier than you imagined they’d be.
Yay! source


Articles Found in the Wall! finished we discussed

A few of our information about the Found in the Wall!, I hope that we submit article easy to understand

You've finished reading an article Found in the Wall! and many articles about Minimalist Home Design in our blog this, please read it. and url link of this article is http://aboutthemaximalists.blogspot.com/2016/09/found-in-wall.html Hopefully discussion articles on could provide more knowledge about home design.

Tag :

18 Responses to "Found in the Wall!"

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visit this blog and nice decoration

    Home & decor


    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post and very nice article
    Beauty write for us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remarkable! Its genuinely remarkable post, I have got much
    clear idea on the topic of from this piece of writing....
    angry gran

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this post,And I figure that they having a ton of fun to peruse this post,they might take a decent site to make an information,thanks for sharing it to me..
    Basket Random

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this article, and I imagine they're having a lot of fun reading it. They may want to go to a good website to gather information, so thanks for sharing it with me...
    vaporvm.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this post, and I think they've got a tonnes of fun to read this post, they could take a decent site to share an information...
    https://www.linkedin.com/company/vaporvm/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Herbal Treatment for Bronchiectasis can prevent damage to your lungs and improve your symptoms. Herbal Supplement improves the health of the lungs that they function better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the really very helpful content for all visitor because its your unique struggle and each every content line is very helpful for us thanks for sharing.
    Sushant Singh Rajput Biography
    self respect quotes
    men's day quotes

    ReplyDelete
  10. We’re a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with valuable info to paintings on. You have performed a formidable task and our whole neighborhood shall be thankful to you.
    October Kingsley
    khatrimaza
    tamilrockers
    tamilgun

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy your articles because of your aesthetic sense. This article on home décor is also very refreshing. I would also like to add some material on social media apps that you can use to share and advertise your content.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diagnovet - Dog Blood Test In Meerut play a crucial role in veterinary diagnostics, helping to identify underlying health issues and assess the overall well-being of our furry companions. In Meerut, a city in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh


    Dog Blood Test In Meerut
    Dog and cat Blood tests
    Dog and cat X-Ray

    ReplyDelete